You are starting or just started a page on Facebook for your business. Then you do a quick search and you find a business page with your business name that you did not create. Whats is going on? Can you remove that page?
There can be a view reasons why this page is there:
- You or a colleague added an employer with the business name to their personal profile. They just added the name of the company without connecting it to a page. This happens often.
Facebook automatically creates an empty page, with the blue briefcase, with the business name.
- Someone checked in at your location using your business name. Here Facebook also creates a page automatically, a ‘place’.
- Someone, possibly a fan, started a page for your business
What to do?
1. Start your page
For now just pretend these other pages are not there and create your page. Start completing you page.
- Add a banner in the sidebar (profile image)
- Create a welcome tab and ask new visitors to like your page
- Invite friends, clients, customers, co-workers, colleagues to like your page
- Post updates regularly, at the least once every 2 days.
Let your page be found and indexed by Facebook and the other search engines by creating a very active and valuable page.
This page our page will show up in the search results above the other pages.
2. Remove employers with empty page
Ask your colleagues to remove their employer and add it again.
Now when they add the employer for a second time, they will have to select your page from the list.
This way the official page will be connected to their personal profile and the automatically created page will slowly but surely disappear.
Connect the check-in page
You may want to connect the check-in page to the official page that you have created.
Go to ‘Edit page’ -> ‘Resources’ -> ‘Merge duplicate pages’
You have fans
A fan created a page with your business name. Try to contact the owner of the page with a message on the wall of that page.
See what you can do with the help of this fan to promote your page. Maybe you can support this page, that is what Coca Cola did.
Here is the video with my weekly Q&A.
View comments (11 comments)
Facebook for Your BusinessYou’ve probably heard that Facebook changed everything for business pages.
This webinar will explain the changes in detail and how your business can benefit from the changes.
Start with Facebook for Your Business
Benefits of Having a Facebook Page for Your Business:
- A place to build your community
- Increase the number of people who subscribe to your ezine
- Share valuable resources with your community
- Increase exposure in the search engines
- Build your brand
if you enjoyed this, signup and get email updates